Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter is 14 soon to be 15 and wants to come live with…

Customer Question
My daughter is 14...

My daughter is 14 soon to be 15 and wants to come live with me. i already have my 13 year old son as it was said in my divorce that i have my son and my ex has my daughter but for many reasons she has herself she wants to live with me. how do i go about getting her.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No i was trying to do this without if i could

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not right off the top of my head

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/28/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. What is the mother's position on this? Why does your daughter want to live with you now as well?

I am the mother. She is being treated the same way i was that made me devorice their dad.

Thank you for the reply. In a situation like this, you could motion the court and ask the Judge to modify custody and allow her to come live with you. The Judge is always going to act in the best interest of the child, so if the father is treating her poorly and you can provide better care and an improved home environment, the Judge could place the child with you. Moreover, at 14, she could speak with the Judge and express her concerns or have an advocate, speak on their behalf.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!