Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm being accused of rape and the accusations are quite

Customer Question
I'm being accused of...

I'm being accused of rape and the accusations are quite severe. I'm wondering if its smarter for me to continue without a lawyer telling nothing but the truth, or if I should find a lawyer and avoid something being twisted around on me.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in South Dakota but the person making accusations is in North Dakota, if this goes to court it will be in North Dakota.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

She made a report to the police in her area, I was informed recently and have been contacted by detectives, I went in and gave my verbal statement and have to turn in a written statement in a few days.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Family Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. I'm working on your reply now, so please be patient while I type it for you.

I'm very sorry to hear that you've already given evidence to the police. Anything that you said can be twisted and used against you. You likely did not help yourself, no matter what they let you think to keep you talking. And the last thing in the world you want to do is go back and put it in writing.

When you are the suspect in a criminal case, you NEVER talk to the authorities without counsel. There is no more cardinal principle in all of criminal law. Assuming you can find a lawyer who thinks you should go back to the detective at all, you should take that lawyer with you. If you can't, break the appointment and tell the police when they contact you that you have already said all that you intend to and that you'll be breaking your appointment.

What actions would you recommend I take at this point? Ive provided them with my account of what happened, as well as some instances that would instill doubt about her account, and the identity of someone who was there thats not really affiliated with either of us.

What I recommend is that you do nothing further. You've already given away some of your defense to the other side before you've even been arrested, so that at some point when you need that defense, the state will be armed to poke holes in it.

Do NOT say anything more to the prosecution. If you have evidence that you think could exonerate you, retain a defense lawyer and tell that to him or her. Let HIM talk to the other side. Because anything you say can be used against you, but what your lawyer says, can't.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.