Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My grand daughter is in an abusive relationship and signed a…

Customer Question
My grand daughter is...

My grand daughter is in an abusive relationship and signed a 2 year home rental lease 5 months ago. She has left the home as she has three children and is not comfortable living there. What can she do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California. Orange county

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

There is one police report that I know of where he would not let my grand daughter drive after a angel baseball game. He was drunk and as she was buckling the baby in her car seat he accelerated and caused my grand daughter to get injuries to her head that required paramedics. He left the scene. This happened prior to the lease signing. He assured her he would address his drinking problem. He goes back and forth on that promise. When she gets angry and leaves the house he will repeatedly call her from 25-75 times. And also text her repeatedly.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has been out of the house about 10 days now, and her boyfriend is getting custody of his daughter and is desperate for someone to take care of her. He is threatening to take her to court now if she doesn't move back.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/27/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Can you please clarify what you are asking, when you want to know what she can do

She wants out of lease
she wants out of lease

Is he on the lease also?

Yes, if she is a victim of domestic violence, the law will allow the lease to be broken early and for her to leave, without incurring the normal penalties.

http://nhlp.org/files/Early%20Lease%20Termination%20Toolkit%20Combined%20-%20Advocates%20and%20Survivors.pdf

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!