Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I "talked" with you about... I "talked" with you about a…

Customer Question
Hi - I "talked" with...
Hi - I "talked" with you about...
Hi - I "talked" with you about a month ago about my former husband and child support issues. I am filing child support paperwork right now. I need to know if I should include the information about his lack of providing health insurance for my two children for the past 8 years. I have paid for their health insurance out of my paycheck for all of this time - about $100 a month, though my employer pays $700/month. Can I at least claim request back support for the $100/month for the past 5 years or so? It is stated in the divorce settlement that he pay for health insurance and life insurance for my two children. He hasn't done this for the past 8 years. I have asked him again and again, and he never responds or pays anything. Now that I am going through child support services for the child support amounts, I feel like it's time to get the health insurance monies back too. What should I do?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Family Lawyer: originallawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 9 months ago
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney

Hello! Please stand by as I work on your answer!

You can alert them to the fact that he hasn't been paying as ordered. You may also pursue a separate contempt motion against him. If the order states that he's supposed to be paying for health insurance and he's not, that's a violation of the order. Before you file a separate contempt motion, see if the support agency will do it.

You should probably get a new order that specifically orders him to reimburse you for the cost of the insurance. If you are going through the support agency, they can help you with that.