Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am in Missouri if my wife owes fed restitution and has…

Customer Question
I am in Missouri...

I am in Missouri if my wife owes fed restitution and has always make her payments on time and I receive an inharedence from my parents can the feds get any of that money if i its in account with just my name on it and by thr way this all happened before we were even married

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Well on a friends advice wich we probly shoulntd have listen to we got divorced but only for that reason

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ya my wife carries me on her insurance and she is not supposed we want to get re married so she dosnt get in trouble but I don't wan them to take that money either

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/27/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

and I receive an inharedence from my parents can the feds get any of that money if i its in account with just my name on it and by thr way this all happened before we were even married

.

No, any criminal judgment of restitution would be against wife solely and they can only come after assets that she owns or has an interest in. Inheritances are considered the separate property of the person who receives them. So as long as you keep that money separate and her name is ***** ***** any account it is in, they can't come after it.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much