Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm trying to fight for parental rights over what i believe…

Customer Question
I'm trying to fight...

I'm trying to fight for parental rights over what i believe to be my child. I even been to Department of human resources over a month ago and still have heard anything back not even if they made contact with her as of yet. I'd like to know what i can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yeah, she had broke the relationship off and told me she had lost the child, then 9 months she gave birth to a baby girl. I would like to know if there is any action i can take on that issue.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/27/2017
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking the process to establish paternity?

No. I have started that process with department of human resources. Well, is there any action i take because of her lying to me about not losing the child? and why i can't even find out that she has been contacted by the courts yet.
just answer the question i gave the best you can on here.
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello, I see you requested a new expert to assist so I will try to help..

.

is there any action i take because of her lying to me about not losing the child?

.

Legally no, it wouldn't be a violation of any law for the mother to break off contact with you and decide that she wanted to try to have and raise the child on her own. However, you also have the right to file the paternity case to try and establish your rights to custody/visitation if you are determined to be the bio father.

.

and why i can't even find out that she has been contacted by the courts yet.

.

If you gave them the mother's address, then they should be in the process of filing the paternity case and getting the mother served with the summons to come to court. But she could be dodging them and avoiding service so it could take them some time to get her into court.

.

But your best best is to find a contact in the DHR, whoever is assigned to your case, and then contact them once a week to ask for a status update and if the mother has been served yet. Often the more you pester them, the faster they will get things done just to stop you calling..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much