Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

An Attorney to help me with Grandparents rights... Texas. I…

Customer Question
I am Looking For...

I am Looking For an Attorney to help me with Grandparents rights...

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I helped raise him for the first 4 years of his life and the year after that I had him all my days off except when his real mom would come to town(maybe once every 3 months) .Now my son has a new girlfriend and makes the descisions about when he can come to my house.her kids where out of control,one stabed his teacher and another student with a pencil at school,he is now on resperidal but only takes it during the day when he is at school,which makes me learry about his safety.the other kids are always picking on him,now he has started acting out too.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/26/2017
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 7 months ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, welcome to the site. I’m here to help you today. I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I’d like to review your question and perhaps do some research for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Here is the Texas Attorney General Grandparental visitation page. It's a good resource. So you can get a court order for visitation rights if visitation is in the child's best interest, and one of the following circumstances exists:

-The parents divorced;

-The parent abused or neglected the child;

-The parent has been incarcerated, found incompetent, or died;

-A court-order terminated the parent-child relationship; or

-The child has lived with the grandparent for at least six months.

You've definitely got the last one sewn up.

Getting custody from a legal parent is harder. The Texas Attorney General's page addresses that, too, with several resources for direct legal assistance, including The Legal Hotline for Texans, which provides services to Texas residents age 60 and older. Call(###) ###-####or go online at www.tlsc.org/legalhotline.asp.

Here's another site you may find helpful, and that gives a brief summary of Texas grandparental access law. There is other helpful information and a community of grandparents at this site, www.grandparents.com. One of the pop ups reads, "Don't fight the battle for visitation alone. Join a community of 500,000 grandparents strong and get expert tips and advice."

There are other resources available on line, but this government site is trustworthy. Other sites may be helpful, but may also lead you to an attorney who wants to be hired.

Were you more interested in securing visitation or do you want to pursue custody?

Sue

To secure my rights for visitation in case they get mad at me for some reason or another

Then you have a very good chance of getting a favorable court order, should it come to that.

Did you find the reference sites I found helpful?

Do you have other questions with which I can help you?

This thread remains open about a week.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided you the information you were seeking. If you’re satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help or have any further questions, please do let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Sue

Is there anything else I can help you with?

I hope you don't mind a reminder to please choose a rating.

Thank you,

Sue