Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am looking for adoption forms to file independently with…

Customer Question
I am looking for...

I am looking for adoption forms to file independently with the birth parents for they don't want an attorney involved. How or where do i go to find such forms that we can fill out & print ourselves & then file with the appropriate county?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas, Burleson County.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes i have personally discussed this with an attorney however they are wanting over $2500 just for the papers alone.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that we are trying to do this without an attorney involved & they are wanting it done like yesterday as far as getting the process started.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/26/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

sure.

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

ok thank you

Thanks so much for your patience. Unfortunately, TX is extremely bad at putting the forms that you need online. Many states, like CA, FL, NY, and even Missouri will post the forms that you need and even in a packet to help you out. Generally, an adult is able to ask the court to adopt a child who may be adopted. Whether or not a child may be able to be adopted depends on the circumstances of the case.

Because children may only have one legal set of parents, adoption requires that the parental rights of biological parent(s) be terminated to make room for the exclusive rights of the new, adoptive parent(s). A parent’s rights may be terminated either voluntarily or involuntarily.

Usually, you need to start with a petition; however, the state does have some helpful resources for you to be able to start the process. If you click here, you can find out what you need to do. Typically, the state requires that you attend at least one adoption meeting and fill out some forms. If you click here, you can find out more on how to become an adoptive parent. I wish I could provide more info, but again, TX doesn't really put much of their information online so I can't be as much help as I would like.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

what about permanent guardianship forms? Also would going to a library to print out forms from the law books be easier?

Good question. Tarrant and Harris Counties have some information online. If you click here, you can see a good checklist that will walk you through the process. What may help as well is going down to your local probate court and then asking them if they have the forms for either adoption or guardianship so you know that you're speaking with the right source. What other questions did you have for me?

that would be it, thank you

The pleasure is all mine! There’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!