Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife and I recently have taken my step daughter away from…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I recently have taken my step daughter away from my stepdaughters biological father due to my stepdaughter's health concerns. My stepdaughter's biological father and girlfriend have now been threatening us with violence and they are trying to show up at our place of work. The biological is not on the birth certificate nor does he have any form of legal documentation stating his rights to my step daughter besides a paternity test. What legal steps should my wife and I take to protect our daughter?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/26/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear this. A few minutes please as I look into this.
For unmarried parents, the biological mother has full custody rights until the biological father files a legitimacy action and the court awards the father custody or visitation. Please seehttps://www.georgialegalaid.org/resource/child-custody-and-visitation-answers-to-commoMeanwhile the mother can file a protective order of the bio father is threatening violence. One moment please.
Please seehttps://georgia.gov/blog/2016-10-25/how-get-restraining-order-georgia
thank you
You are most welcome. Good luck to your family on this.Further questions please post here otherwise kindly rate positively if no further questions.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information