Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son is 16, and hes supposed to spend new years ag his…

Customer Question
My son is 16...

My son is 16, and hes supposed to spend new years ag his dad. I found out throygh my son he booked a vacation with his wife, and is not planning to take him. I will be out if the country

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Hes just thinks that he can leave him with whonever

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have 50/50 custody

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Im in Texas
11/26/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

While a 16 year old can legally be allowed to stay by themselves for short periods of time, even overnight, and not be in violation of any laws, it is never a great idea. If the father is supposed to have the child and is not going to be there and you will be out of the country, you need to make new plans now and if the father objects, then you have a right to go to court NOW on a motion for an order to show cause for contempt and ask the court to hear it on an expedited basis because of the trip coming up and get the court to order that the father either cancel the trip, take the 16 year old with him, allow you to take the 16 year old with you or settle on a proper person for the 16 year old to stay with.

The courts expect parents to be reasonable and flexible to work out these issues, but if you cannot do so with the father, then filing in court ASAP to get a hearing is what you will need to do in order to resolve this.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.