Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I agreed to let my ex husband keep the house and refinance…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I agreed...

Second opinion] I agreed to let my ex husband keep the house and refinance it because I am a nice person and he really wanted to keep it. He was supposed to refinance our home over 20 months ago. He went from wanting to refi (he did qualify for a loan) and needing more time to not wanting to refi and sell it back to wanting to refi, I believe to keep the home from being rented out so he could stay in it. Then back to wanting to sell but doing things like dropping the price of the house without discussing it, putting pictures that were bad online, basically doing all the things market research says sabatoge the sale of the home. He has profitted by not paying a rental rate on the home, tied up my VA loan to where I have been throing money down the drain for 20 months now since I am unable to purchase another home with my loan tied up. Not to mention the lowered standard of living for me and my child because of his antics. Now he is saying he will do whatever he wants with the house. I am over being taken advantage of and losing out while he profits from the situation. What can I do to not only recoup my losses but also modify the order since he has used it to damage me and profit for himself, and get him in trouble for doing what he has done?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

TN

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No. Only the divorce decree which was in April of 2016 which was an agreed document between the two of us.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I agreed to let him keep and refinance the house under the understanding it was to give him the opportunity to own a home. If I would have taken it to court, that wouldn't have been the outcome.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Hello?
11/26/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.