Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What are the requirements for a common law marriage in

What are the requirements...

What are the requirements for a common law marriage in Illinois?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been cohabitating with thixs women for 3 years. In tha time I have invested over $63,000.00 remodeling the house. Additionally I paid rent of $950.00 per month, later raised to $1,000.00 per month Three weeks ago she tell me the relationship is over and I need to move out.

11/25/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Common law marriages cannot be formed in Illinois, they are against IL law and IL will only recognize a common law marriage that was validly formed under some other state's law that does allow for formation of a common law marriage. Illinois outlawed common law marriages in 1905.

If you have invested your money into improving her separate property without any agreements and if you have also paid rent, you would need to demand reimbursement from her for the money you invested in her house and if she refuses, you would need to file a civil suit against her for reimbursement to seek return of the money you spent improving her separate property.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.