Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was married over 19 years, been divorced, haven't

Customer Question
Hi. I was married...

Hi. I was married over 19 years, been divorced, haven't remarried. My ex is still working. He is 61, has not retired. My question is, am I entitled to any type of benefits? If so, which one/s? Thank you for your help

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I love in NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I live in NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If I am entitled to divorce benefits or spouse derivative, what do I need to have when I go to AS?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/25/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Thank yo. Waiting for you response

You can file for spousal benefits at social security.You get half of what he draws, it depends when you file here, the longer you wait the higher your share.

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

You can file here at age 62 or file later and get higher benefits.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

File here

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html

You can draw these evenif he hasn't filed.

No phone ca preferred. Please. Just a sure legal answer to question will suffice with much appreciation. Than YOU

You can file for social security here shortly if you are 61 at age 62.