Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

After seven years of marriage and a may be divorce I would…

Customer Question
After seven years of...

After seven years of marriage and a may be divorce I would like to know what amount of alimony might be due.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Port Orchard,,Wa.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/24/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. It is looked at on a case by case basis. it is hard to say what amount, since there are many facts, which the court considers. According to the Revised Code of Washington (RCW 26.09.090), some of the factors the court will use to consider your case will include the following:

• How long were you married? You may not be eligible for spousal support if you were only married for a short time—less than two or three years. You may be eligible for long-term spousal support if you were married for longer than two decades. Shorter marriages are less likely to result in maintenance payments.
  • Do you have dependents? Spousal support may rise if one person is the primary caregiver to young children and must stay home from work.
  • What are your income, assets, and expenses? Spousal support is designed to allow your husband or wife to continue to live the same lifestyle as during your marriage, at least for a limited number of years. This includes any separate property and community property, as well as your ability to independently support yourself and any children you have. It also includes any financial obligations you may have.
  • Your spouse’s finances. Whether your spouse will be able to afford to pay maintenance while still meeting his own financial needs is a factor, also.
  • What are your future plans? Spousal support may end if you enter into another marriage, if your children begin school, if you earn a new degree, or if you experience other life changes.
  • Your education or training. The court will consider how long it may take you to gain any skills or education required to find employment that’s appropriate to your “skills, interests, style of life, and other attendant circumstances.”
  • Your standard of living. The court will make adjustments based on the standard of living that you had during your marriage.
  • Your health. This includes your physical or mental health and disabilities you may have, particularly if you relied on your spouse for support due to your condition. Your age is also a factor.

As such, when taking all of these as a whole, the court will decide.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!