Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am wanting to add my husband's last name 5o my daughters,

Customer Question
I am wanting to...

I am wanting to add my husband's last name 5o my daughters, and am trying to locate the forms I will need to fill out and take to our court house

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

I am the only parent listed on her birth certificate and he is the only father she knows. We are in texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

We have talked in the past about adoption, but have decided to go with a hifinated last name, adding his

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/24/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Are you asking about doing a name change without doing an adoption?

Her last name is ***** ***** name. I am now married and he is the inly father she knows. I want her name to read Manhart-Rivera

Thank you for your reply.

This would require filing a petition for name change in the local court, if the biological father is known, you would need to serve a copy of the petition for name change on the biological father who has a right to object to the name change. Here is a petition for name change of a minor for you to see and use as template for your petition along with the instructions. http://www.collincountytx.gov/law_library/Documents/online_forms/NameChangeMinorOneParent.pdf

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.