Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have primary custody and the father have weekend

Customer Question
I have primary custody...

I have primary custody and the father have weekend visitation. In a court ordered document it states, “the father gets the child 6 pm the day before Thanksgiving and return the child 6pm the day after Thanksgiving. The father is saying he is not bringing the child back because it’s his visitation weekend. Is this correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the court order was issued in?

Pity county North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Pitt

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The judge said he must follow the holiday schedule and it don’t matter if it’s a weekend

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/24/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. The court order does control. If the father does have the child this year for Thanksgiving AND the same weekend, he should be able to keep the child through the weekend, since that is the visitation which is ordered. The fact that both are back to back and he would have the child for longer, does not mean he would or should lose his visitation weekend. If the order is silent about a situation like this, where a holiday runs into a weekend, you would need to take the father back to court and ask that the Judge order that if this happens, either the weekend or holiday would be forfeited, if you have a basis for that request.

The judge said the weekend would be forfeited. So what’s next?

Is it in writing or was this only verbal? If it was verbal, why was it not stated in the order and/or why is the father refusing to adhere to it?

Verbal. I have been to custody court a total of 5 times to have the document modified because the custody order does not fit the father lifestyle. He is controlling. He took me back to court because he did not like the judge wording in the order.

Thank you for the reply. If this is verbal, it is going to be hard to do something right now or before Monday. I say this because it is a civil matter, not criminal, so if you contacted the police an asked them to assist, they would need and want to see something in the court order, that states that the child is to be returned this weekend. If there is nothing in writing and this was verbal, there is no evidence of the Judges order. What will happen, is that you would need to file a motion on Monday, unless the court is open today in your county and seek to hold the father in contempt, for failing to comply with the Judges order. The Judge could take action and also modify and amend the order, to address situations like these. I know it is not ideal and what you were hoping to hear but I have an obligation to be upfront and honest with you and based upon the shortage of time, it would be hard for you to get the child back today, absent a court order or police involvement.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!