Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is marriage by proxy valid in USA

Customer Question
Hello, Is marriage by proxy valid...
Is marriage by proxy valid in USA
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Are you wanting to marry here , marry elsewhere and have it recognized in US.Thanks.

Like if a person enters into a marriage with someone without a marriage ceremony and without the presence of the other party at the time of signing a marriage and the marriage is never consummated ... will such a marriage be deemed valid ?

If you marry in another country here you would have to prove up that it was valid.If there is no proxy license likely it is not.If you can prove it up , you have such a proxy license US courts can recognize it.

Some states in the US allow for proxy marriage

In the United States, proxy marriages are provided for in law or by customary practice in Texas, Colorado, Kansas, and Montana Of these, Montana is the only state that allows double-proxy marriage. Proxy marriages cannot be solemnized in all other U.S. states.

Proxy marriage - Wikipedia

If you want to marry by proxy in the US rather than overseas.In the states set out above it is legal.

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

If such a marriage is not consummated at all . Is it still valid

You would need to file for annulment in the US. Court can grant annulment, marriage found to be void or voidable.So yes it can be annulled here in the US.