Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm in Georgia and I dated a woman for about two months in…

Customer Question
I'm in Georgia and...

I'm in Georgia and I dated a woman for about two months in 2016 when I was in Texas. I broke up with her when she was pregnant. I never and still don't believe that I'm the father. She gave the baby my last name and also listed me as the father on the birth certificate. I have not seen her since august 2016. I was served with child support papers in August of 2017 and requested DNA testing. I'm still waiting on the results. I read that it was illegal for her to do that. How can I file charges against her doing that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

She did this in Texas , I'm in Georgia.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/23/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I read that it was illegal for her to do that. How can I file charges against her doing that?

.

No, it is not illegal for a mother to list who they believe to be the father on the birth certificate without a paternity test.. The mother fills out the birth certificate forms and lists who she thinks the father is. It is only considered illegal fraud if she knowingly lists someone when she knows that they aren't the father.

.

That creates a rebuttable presumption that is who the father is but can be overcome by an actual DNA test if someone files a paternity court action for support or to disclaim paternity.

.

So at this point, if you are determined to be the father, the judge would then enter an order stating so and then make additional findings as to child support and custody/visitation if requested. If not, then then ends the matter and you would be removed from the birth certificate as the presumptive father.

.

.

thanks

Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 9 months ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much