Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If you are given a jail sentence for non payment of Child…

Customer Question
If you are given a...
If you are given a jail sentence for non payment of Child support is there a chance to get out if you agree to purge conditions with child support
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

If a purge alternative is offered and the purge is met, the court will vacate the jail sentence; please see:

https://dcf.wisconsin.gov/cs/enforce/court

Per section 785.04 once the person is no longer in contempt (the owed support is paid) the court no longer has jurisdiction to hold the person in jail; please see:

785.04 Sanctions authorized.

(1)  Remedial sanction. A court may impose one or more of the following remedial sanctions:

(a) Payment of a sum of money sufficient to compensate a party for a loss or injury suffered by the party as the result of a contempt of court.

(b) Imprisonment if the contempt of court is of a type included in s. 785.01 (1) (b), (bm), (c) or (d). The imprisonment may extend only so long as the person is committing the contempt of court or 6 months, whichever is the shorter period.

(c) A forfeiture not to exceed $2,000 for each day the contempt of court continues.

(d) An order designed to ensure compliance with a prior order of the court.

(e) A sanction other than the sanctions specified in pars. (a) to (d) if it expressly finds that those sanctions would be ineffectual to terminate a continuing contempt of court.

(2) Punitive sanction.

(a) Nonsummary procedure. A court, after a finding of contempt of court in a nonsummary procedure under s. 785.03 (1) (b), may impose for each separate contempt of court a fine of not more than $5,000 or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year or both.

(b) Summary procedure. A court, after a finding of contempt of court in a summary procedure under s. 785.03 (2), may impose for each separate contempt of court a fine of not more than $500 or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 30 days or both.

(3) Past conduct. A punitive sanction may be imposed for past conduct which was a contempt of court even though similar present conduct is a continuing contempt of court.

History: 1979 c. 257; 1993 a. 78.

A court may award attorney fees and other litigation costs under sub. (1) (a). Town of Seymour v. City of Eau Claire, 112 Wis. 2d 313, 332 N.W.2d 821 (Ct. App. 1983).

Purge conditions must be within the power of the contemnor and must be reasonably related to the cause or nature of the contempt. Larsen v. Larsen, 159 Wis. 2d 672, 465 N.W.2d 225 (Ct. App. 1990).

785.05 Limitation on imprisonment. In any case in which the contempt of court is based upon interference with visitation rights granted under s. 48.925 (1), or upon failure to respond to a citation, summons or warrant under s. 345.28 or any other failure to pay or to appear in court for a nonmoving traffic violation, the court may not impose imprisonment as a sanction under this chapter.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/785/04/1/a

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer