Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Why can't I find a family lawyer licensed in Washington to…

Why can't I find...

Why can't I find a family lawyer licensed in Washington to help my indigent son file a motion that presents new evidence the most likely would have resulted in a different outcome in his divorce case in Island County Superior Court?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Cannot afford one. Expensive just to consult.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do have a confession from the ex wife to a Federal officer that she did assault my son prior to the divorce hearings. This confession came long after the final ruling that, during the hearings she denied any acts of violence. She has total custody of the only child.

11/23/2017
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What have you tried so far to find him a family lawyer?

Google search, called every lawyer's office in the area. All to no avail. After he lost his daughter in the proceedings, he spiraled down to the extent that he attempted 3 suicides. A poor judgment then landed him in Federal prison with a release date in December.
The federal offense is separate and not connected to the parties in the divorce.

It's Thanksgiving Day and I don't have the time this morning to take a customer call, unfortunately.

It doesn't appear that you've tried any of the pro bono agencies in your state and that's where you can find representation for an indigent plaintiff. Every state has agencies that offer pro bono assistance to civil litigants. <a id="FL" "="" data-cke-saved-href="https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html?id=FL" href="https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html?id=FL" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" style="background: rgb(234, 249, 252); border: 0px; font-size: 11px; margin: 0px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration-line: underline; color: rgb(27, 146, 171); font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Here is a link that will get you to the pro bono resources in your state. Call them, and if they cannot help you, don't be shy. Ask who else can. People in the pro bono loop tend to know each other, and even if you can't get full representation, you should be able to get hands-on assistance so that you will be confident of how to handle your matters yourself

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html?id=WA

Another source of free or low cost representation would be law school clinics. Here, law students take on actual cases for course credit under the supervision of a family lawyer/professor. Many of these clinics have excellent reputations, and if you have to appear in court, the lawyer goes with the students.

You can see a list of Washington law schools and their clinics here.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
PaulmoJD
PaulmoJD, Attorney At Law
Phone call session started

It doesn't appear that you've tried any of the pro bono agencies in your state and that's where you can find representation for an indigent plaintiff. Every state has agencies that offer pro bono assistance to civil litigants. Here is a link that will get you to the pro bono resources in your state. Call them, and if they cannot help you, don't be shy. Ask who else can. People in the pro bono loop tend to know each other, and even if you can't get full representation, you should be able to get hands-on assistance so that you will be confident of how to handle your matters yourself