Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have bee married for 2 yrs my husband filed for divorce I…

Customer Question
I have bee married for...
I have bee married for 2 yrs my husband filed for divorce I brought him a car last year can I ask for it back
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2017
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

While you certainly can request in a divorce that the vehicle be returned to you, as it was purchased during the marriage, it will be seen as a marital asset, and be split between the two of you. Ohio is an "equitable distribution state." Equitable distribution doesn't necessarily mean 50/50, just what is fair between the spouses.

So the court could order for example that the car be sold, and that the proceeds be split between the two of you. Or, the court could award you the car but order that you provide him other assets equal to his share of the vehicle (for example, a larger share of the money in your savings).