Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Do we need to go through the court to put a new parenting…

Customer Question
Do we need to go...
Do we need to go through the court to put a new parenting plan in place or can this be done through mediation?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/22/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Hello; based on your last posts this is a CA question so this applies to CA:
CA requires any modified custody or visitation order to be made through the courts; while the parties are free to mediate the topic (either privately or through a court appointed mediator) any agreement would need to be submitted to the court so that it can be incorporated into a court order.

Law enforcement will only enforce current court orders so for example if a party comes to an agreement that Dad will have the kids on Monday, but the court order states Mom is to have the kids on Monday, law enforcement will enforce the court order and not the agreement.

Here is a sample of a stipulated court order application:

http://www.occourts.org/self-help/formpackets/forms/SHC-FL-01.pdf

What if I didn't want a modification to a court order? Do I have to if the other parent wants a modification?

No; the party desiring it would need to petition the court and see if the court will determine if it is appropriate based on a change in circumstances.

Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer