Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

The mother tested positive for drugs and social services…

The mother tested positive for...
The mother tested positive for drugs and social services took the baby. My brother is the father of the child and being ask for random drug test. What are our options to get the baby back from social services? This is California.
Answered in 1 day by:
11/23/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Could you explain a little more?

Why did Social Services not contact your brother and give him custody of his child?

Is there a custody case pending with the Court?

Thank you for your cooperation.

They did contact my brother but they did not give the baby back to him either. They want him to go thru drug testing since the mother tested positive as well as the baby

Thank you for the information.

He needs to file Motion with the Court to force CPS to give him custody of his child. If he has no substance abuse problem, I do not see why CPS should be demanding that he take a drug test in order to get custody of his child.

The Motion would be filed at the Courthouse in the County where the mother and child reside. He can obtain Motion form at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office or online. Click here to find the proper Courthouse.

Goodluck with the case,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law