Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am the father of a 7 month year old that my ex girlfriend

at the time had filed...
I am the father of a 7 month year old that my ex girlfriend at the time had filed a protective order before the baby was born where I could not visit. I did not attend the hearing at the time and the protective order went in place. I am now stable with my life residence and able to support my daughter and to be apart of her life. I have tried to reason with the mother of my child but she refuses to allow me visitation on my own with my daughter without her being present but its violating the protection order. What rights do I have as she is already receiving state assistance and has already listed me as the father of what I can do to petition for visitation or how hard would it be for me to even ask the judge to grand joint custody? Grant
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: IA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have not.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That there has never been no domestics or any record of abuse but just the emotional state of the mother because I did not want to be with her. ok
11/22/2017
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Was a custody agreement ever reached before a family court judge, or was it just the protective order that was put in place?

Nisha Jones
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The protective order was put in place before the child was even born. I moved out of the residence at the time and was not allowed to be near her. I basically ended up homeless. She did apply for FIP which she is receiving and did name me as the father but I am not on the birth certificate which I want to establish. She doesn't want to leave the child alone with me even though everything I have is stable. Residence, no criminal, financially secure and willing to pay her child support.
Phone call session started
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones