Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I just messaged on my phone but i needed to switch to my

computer. I have divorce questions...
i just messaged on my phone but i needed to switch to my computer. I have divorce questions about spousal support for someone who would be married 3 years in april. My husband was having an affair. I make about 27,000 a year and he makes about $70,000 a year.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: california
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: i havent
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i was injured the past month and a half due to a work injury. Im back at work now but im only averging 20 hours a week now. so im really trying to figuire out finances and what not, to survive. thank you
11/22/2017
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. What can I answer for you about spousal support?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
im just wondering if im entitled to it? and if so how much to ask for? i just have no idea about this

Spousal support/alimony is meant to "bridge the gap" between the time it takes for a spouse to obtain employment or resources (in your case, for example, until you can get back on your feet. It's granted in about 10-15% of cases and longer term marriages are more likely to result in spousal support. You should ask for the amount you need. An affair doesn't generally change much, as far as alimony is concerned.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
okay so is $600 a month too much to ask? i just don't know whats normal. I acquired a lot of debt in this marriage from my husband so i have a lot of debt to pay off now

It's meant to maintain the marital standard of living.

$600 is not too much - so what's normal for you wouldn't necessarily be normal for someone else.

I​t literally depends on the marriage and the standard of living. In some marriages $60 is too much. In others $6000 is not enough.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
okay well, he would need to pay me a lot to continue letting me live the way we lived. so your saying very few cases even get spousal support?
i mean im only 25 and in school full time so i need support. i just dont want to ask too little or too much i guess
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
okay i totally understand what you mean by its all depending on the situation and way of living.

How old is he?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
24, hes a police officer. i worked 75 hour weeks to provide while he was in the academy and now this happens so im just trying to protect myself

D​o you want me to be honest? A 25 year old is unlikely to get alimony at all - but the fact that you're in school and he makes three times as much as you does help. Is it going to be long term alimony? Probably it'll be a year - and that's if you even get alimony. Only a small percentage of marriages get alimony. The fact that you supported him through school though is very helpful.

If I were you, I'd ask for how much you need - or somewhat more than that. DO NOT ask for less than you need because you think you're asking for too much.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
okay yeah i thought that might mean something. becayse he wouldnt even be in his job if it wasnt for me supporting him.

That'll make the biggest difference in whether you get any alimony. I hope I've answered your question. But if you have any other questions just ask! If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars - 5 is definitely appreciated!). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney