Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My wife has asked for a divorce. We have worked out an

My wife has asked for...
My wife has asked for a divorce. We have worked out an Separation Agreement and have agreed on everything except her student loans.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ga my name is ***** ***** the loans just hers
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: she went back to school in 2014 to get her degree as a Radiology Technician not yet. Neither of us can afford to hire a lawyer and we are trying to handle this as uncontested
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the amount is approximately 21,000 in student loan debt.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Are you both on the loans, were all of them acquired during marriage??

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
only she is on the loans
yes, we were married at the time she got the loans

Well they are marital, you may offer to divide them , a court likely would.She is on the hook for them even if court says you owe half here.Everything's negotiable offer to take 33% argue she is going to benefit not you.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I was working and supporting our family
She was a stay at home mom and decided she wanted to go back to school since our kids were now older.
I found a conversation that she had with an old high school guy friend that she told him she wanted to go back to school to get her "ducks in a row" so she could take care of herself and our kids. When I asked her if it was her plan to leave me after she finished school and started working she would not deny that statement.

I understand you can always let judge decide but you are going to get stuck for at least part.

Prayers to you here I wish you the best.I can understand how hard it is.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
ok....that is what I was worried about, Is there any way that a judge would not make me pay on those loans If I present two separate conversations she had with old boyfriends where she made similar statements on her leaving was one of the reasons she went back to school?

You have an argument for her to pay more than half here, he could give her like 2/3 of them if you can raise such issues.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I understand. thank you for your help.

Have a great evening.

Thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer