Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If guardianship is given to the grandmother, is one parent…

Customer Question
Hello, if guardianship is...

Hello, if guardianship is given to the grandmother, is one parent who makes more money than the other required to pay more based on salary?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Nassau county, new york

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

In the divorce papers, it states that both parent pay the same amount to the guardian even though one parent makes more than the other

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/22/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
The current support order would be the order that has legal effect and is to be followed until such time as it is modified or terminated. The court will typically apportion the support obligation based on the parents respective income but it is permitted to deviate from that. One would need to file a request for modification. Until the modification is ordeed the prior order continues to have effect.
Please see..https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.herjustice.org/assets/pdfs/TheBasicsSeries_English/Becoming-a-Legal-Guardian_ENGLISH.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiGj62YjtHXAhUfS2MKHaDpCssQFggqMAI&usg=AOvVaw3X5Z-aGzCeWnQUddSXRAqb
she currently is not employed but now lives with the grandmother who is the guardian. with her not working, could that effect my payment in the judges decision?
no thank you
are you still there?

I'm sorry - it appeared that you opted out so I signed off for the night; the opt out has been removed.

Yes, if a parent is not working that could affect support payments to the guardian; however they do continue to accrue so once the individual obtains a job then the court can either garnish wages or attach property.

Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer