Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife has just a legal action against me, as well as a…

Customer Question
My wife has just...

My wife has just a legal action against me , as well as a divorce I just got the notice today to be in front of a domestic relation commissioner within 6 days . it is the holidays my chances of getting a lawyer is slim also she is doing this in another county from which we live can her attorney do this

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ky

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Trying to find one

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is trying to get a car from me to drive whuch I had before we got married and I am still making payments on this auto

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

A continuance can be granted for the meeting if there is good cause.

It's very understandable/ reasonable that you would not be able to locate an attorney on such short notice, especially with the holiday this week. You should definitely be granted a continuance on this basis -- you would just need to let the commissioner know that you need a continuance in order to retain counsel.

Once you do find a lawyer to represent you in your case, they can also petition to have your case transferred to another, closer commissioner, since this is set 6 hours away from you.

With the continuance being granted, you won't have to address any of the substantive claims your wife is making at the upcoming meeting. That means your attorney will have ebough time to prepare your case, gather evidence, and present your side of the situation at the following meeting.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thank you
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!