Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was denied spousal support because I was convicted of

Customer Question
domestic violence. I broke the...
I was denied spousal support because I was convicted of domestic violence. I broke the telephone so she couldn’t call the police during an argument we were having. The courts left it open to be determined by the court. If I get my felony conviction expunged, Can I then qualify for spousal support since the court left it open? She makes substantially more money than me.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 5 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: As I'm sure you know, there are no guarantees - but it is possible. However, the judge will have access to the file so he'll still know about the DV conviction. When you file for support, you'll want to explain what the DV pertained to (ie, you broke a phone). I wish I could tell you "yes, it's guaranteed that you'll get support" but at the end of the day, it's one single human deciding and we have no way of knowing how he'll decide - so I want you to at least increase your odds! I hope I've answered your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney