Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have legal custody of my adopted son's brother. his

Customer Question
I have legal custody...

I have legal custody of my adopted son's brother. his adoptive parent's could not handle him anymore. he is a good kid, they are just in their mid 70's and he is 16. We were asked to take him, so we did for our son and for him. we would like to adopt him. he is 16. I have spoken to the mother and she is not onboard with that. if we are able to adopt him, he would be eligible for more of our benefits and would benefit as an heir just as our son. they dont see him. would we have to go to court if we could agree to the adoption? also, if we dont, what is my next step?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, since this came about and we had to go to court due to them not wanting him, we have had to think about this. we just now decided to address it with them.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He wants very much to be adopted by us and he was no stranger to our family since we kept the kids all in touch for the past 8 years.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!