Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I married a New Zealander on an emotional 'high', could not…

Customer Question
I married a New...

I married a New Zealander on an emotional 'high', could not imagine anyone marrying me to gain USA citizenship. Well we did marry, and he wanted to buy 2 houses; one to rent, one to live in, I agreed, never questioned it. Long history, but now HE lives next door in the second house rent free, he earns and keeps over $4,000-5000 month, he avoids any discussion of citizenship, alimony, returning to NZ. He likes the good, easy, successful bank account/income as a "retiree" in the USA. I do not have enough money to file for divorce, so HOW do I get rid of this New Zealand (married to me) stayover? I had a stroke recently, but God allowed me to recover, but with limitations. He keeps separate banks, everything from me. I FEEL SO USED AND ABUSED. HOW CAN I GET A DIVORCE, SO I CAN GET A DECENT MONTHLY ALIMONY, SO I CAN PAY AN ATTORNEY TO GET ME A FINAL SOLUTION DIVORCE?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Family Lawyers require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tennessee. I DO NOT MIND PAYING ATTORNEY FEES....I WANT (DESPERATELY) THE DIVORCE AND I RESPECT THE ROLE THEY PLAY IN ACCOMPLISHING IT. I AM IN TENNESSEE. HELP ME?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet, he sits on the bank funds (he says he works, I don't) I have been too sick to hold a job. We have two houses and live near Savannah TN. Can a divorce send him back to NZ???

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am too nervous to know what to ask or tell. I have nothing to hide, I just understand he used me to gain legal 'entry' into the USA. NZ is a lovely country, I do not know why he does not want to return there. The little town of Hawera NZ on the North Island is a nice place to call home; he wants to stay in America.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/21/2017
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if you divorce will he be deported?