Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If you physically separated from your spouse 26 years ago…

Customer Question
If you physically separated...

If you physically separated from your spouse 26 years ago and agreed on the finances and over the years separated all items but never recorded it with the courts, will it still be valid if we elect to divorce now?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much is this going to cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Family Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Ok

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/21/2017
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if the court will consider your agreement from 26 years ago as you go through the divorce process?

I never got our agreement registered in court. We both still agree to it....
I do not want to call

Thank you

Are you asking if the court will consider your agreement from 26 years ago as you go through the divorce process?

I cancelled this account because this process is useless!

I wish you the best