Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I need to know who long a parent can go without visitation…

I need to know...

I need to know who long a parent can go without visitation before I can file abandonment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes and he says a year, but every place Ive looked says 6 months.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Parenting guidelines even say 6 months

11/21/2017
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Pursuant to Indiana Code § 31-19-9-8(a)(1), the period of abandonment must last for at least six months immediately preceding the filing of a petition for adoption. If the attorney is advising it is a year, you should ask him the basis for it and how it applies to your case.

ok thank you

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer