Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son has been denied seeing or talking to his

Customer Question
My son has been...

My son has been denied seeing or talking to his daughter...they have no set custody agreement yet and he has had 50/50 custody of her up til 6 months ago when her mother got engaged. What can be do to see her.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

He goes on Monday...she is dening him any time on thanksgiving too.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Ok...what can he do?

Hi, I see your latest response. Bear with me a moment while I review…

Ok

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, what your son may want to do is file a petition for modification of custody with a local court. Your son would need to file in the county where the child has been living for the last six months. He could advise that he has been denied custody for over a year and he would like the court to fashion a custody agreement that is going to work to a point where he can see the child. The court is required to take into account his living situation, his income, and anything else that may be in the best interests of the child. He'll have to serve a copy of the petition on the mother using someone who is over 18 and not a party to the case (meaning he could have you deliver the papers), and the court will probably set a hearing to hear his side of the story.

What other questions did you have for me?