Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am a single mom, my daughter is 14. My grandfather has…

I am a single...

I am a single mom, my daughter is 14. My grandfather has taken us to court on the basis that he feels I am keeping my daughter from seeing him. I have already been to court three times.My attorney has tried to keep things amicable not too trigger him. He has denied meetings with attorneys outside of court to resolve this issue. Her law guardian has expressed that she wishes to see him provided he agrees to a meeting with her therapist and him to begin the healing process.He has denied that. My daughter has also shared the extremes of his behavior. Last court session the judge said there will be no trial your the grandparent and these decisions are up to the mom and daughter. We have a court date on Dec 11th with no resolution . I have proof and documentation of all the visits between my dad & daughter.I have spent 2500 and do not have any more money to spend. I want out of the whole thing. Can I just say...I'm done and not show up?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?

New York State Family Law

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have but letting her go today!! I can't afford it and want to know if I can just stop the whole process and how I would do it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think I was pretty thorough

11/21/2017
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Just to be clear, the grandfather of the child is trying to get visitation? If so, you no longer want to contest this and want to allow it?

I have never contested and always allowed it. It his petition to the court he claimed that I was not allowing her to see him.
The only change now through his irrate behavior is that the condition for visitation is that he attends a few sessions with my daughter's counselor to "repair" the relationship. Because he escalated this to this point, my daughter now does not want to see him unless he agrees to first see her with the counselor. He denied the visit set up in court because she requested to see him alone first and then with my daughter. He claims we changed the agreement in court. Really just want out of the things and ready to just not show up and tell my lawyer I no longer going through the legal system. Can I do that?
it is(###) ###-####not 151
Thank you and please allow me a moment to respond
you can. If you no longer want to contest this and oppose it, it is at your discretion. You can advise your attorney of the same and they can enter into an agreed order with the grandfather and this would be done with.
Did you get the updated phone number?
An expert should be contacting you shortly
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Hi- what happened I thought we were set up for a phone call?
PaulmoJD
PaulmoJD, Attorney At Law
Phone call session started