Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Is it reasonable for a father to demand to Skype with our

son every night? We were...
Is it reasonable for a father to demand to Skype with our son every night? We were busy Friday/Sat/Sun and he is very upset about me not Skyping with him. Will I get in trouble in front of a judge about this?
11/21/2017
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

I would say that this is not reasonable. "Reasonable" phone/Skype contact is not defined in the law anywhere. Obviously, what's "reasonable" for one situation may not be reasonable for someone else's situation. Both parents should work to be flexible and accommodating regarding telephone contact. Two to four times a week is pretty typical, although you need to take into account the child's age- younger children often lose interest quickly and may not want to talk on the phone as long as older children do (again, this varies widely with the child).

Due to each parent's differing work schedule and outside activities, regular telephone contact may be difficult to arrange. A non-custodial parent has to understand that things are going to come up - school events, a child being sick, appointments that run late, people going on vacation, etc. Daily phone contact, while admirable, isn't reasonable, and I don't see a judge having an issue with you so long as you are not intentionally going out of your way to deny contact.

Some non-custodial parents will misuse telephone access in the form of a control issue or 'power-play'. They may insist on calling every single night, or 3 or 4 times a day- an excessive amount in most instances. These kinds of issues occasionally find their way into court, oftentimes to little or no effect. Judges dislike dealing with these kinds of low-level disputes, and many consider it a waste of their time. In short, it is rarely worth the cost in time and money to engage in formal litigation over telephone contact issues, and would be far better if it could be settled between the two of you amicably, but if it cannot be, then you may have to go to court to amend your visitation/custody agreement to spell out exactly when contact via phone/Skype will occur and make sure your son is available on those days and times.

Was there anything I could clarify for you, or additional information you needed about this matter? If so, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING FIRST, and I'll be happy to help further. Otherwise, if I have fully answered your question, please leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. This is the only way experts like myself are compensated by the site for our time and assistance. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you!

You're very welcome! Please remember to click on the stars at the top of the page so I am credited by the site for my time and assistance. Much appreciated.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
RobertJDFL, Lawyer