Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can my VA benefits be used for spousal support in

Customer Question
Can my VA benefits...

Can my VA benefits be used for spousal support in California

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

The judge already ruled on all of my income, and half of it is VA benefits. I think she used all of my income to make her ruling.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can I appeal to the 9th circuit , or must I appeal to the court that made the decision?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago
Michael Bradley

yes. In CA VA benefits are considered income

has the decision been handed down and when was it handed down?

September 8,2017.
are you aware of any supreme court rulings stating VA benefits may not be consider as property for Spousal support?
no.
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago

years ago yes

recently no they count it as income for spousal

let me research it some more