Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I will be 66 on 3/1/18 and want to apply for social security…

I will be 66 on...
I will be 66 on 3/1/18 and want to apply for social security benefits now to begin receiving retirement benefits as of my full retirement age (2/1/18). Is there a way, in applying on-line, as I just tried to do, to put a date in as to when I want it to start?
There didn't seem to be, and if it starts next month, I'll have a reduced benefit (besides an earnings offset) for age 65 not 66 since it seems to be based on my 11/20/17 application date. Am I applying too soon?
11/20/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

I would really consider doing this in person.It is so critical you want your money I have had issues with online applications.Make an appointment you can do this 90 days out and this seems within the time frame.It is a good idea to do so in person.

The documents they may ask for are:

• your Social Security card (or a record of your number);
  • your original birth certificate or other proof of birth (You may also submit a copy of your birth certificate certified by the issuing agency);
  • proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the U.S. [More Info];
  • a copy of your U.S. military service paper(s) (e.g., DD-214 - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) if you had military service before 1968; and
  • a copy of your W-2 form(s) and/or self-employment tax return for last year.

Office locator here

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it it much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer