Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was wondering, in Wisconsin, how old does a child have to…

Customer Question
I was wondering, in...

I was wondering, in Wisconsin, how old does a child have to be before they can choose where they want to live and with whom they want to live?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that my son has full placement and he and his wife are both deaf. My granddaughter has been living with her mother for a little over a year now, and just recently moved in with me, her paternal grandma.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/20/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

From a purely legal perspective, a minor child has no legal right to determine where they live. That is the decision of their legal guardians or the court. So a minor doesn't have the right to say they want to live with one or the other parent or legal guardian. Once they turn 18 and become an adult, they can choose to live wherever they want.

.

As for changing the custodial guardian, if one party filed a motion to change custody, the courts will listen to the preferences of a child once they are 12 or older, but that is not determinative and it is entirely up to the judge to determine what is in the best interests of the child.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much