Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am planning on moving back to alabama with my family i am…

Customer Question
I am planning on...

I am planning on moving back to alabama with my family i am transferring jobs and my sons dad is on birth certifiacte but we never have been to court to establish partentrity can i legally move

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

My son was born in alabama but we have lived in ohio for 2 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No i have not cant afford one

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i know of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Under Ohio law, when it comes to child custody rights, an unmarried mother who gives birth to a child is automatically the sole residential parent and legal custodian of the child until a court makes a formal Court Order stating something else. This also means that until a Court legally “recognizes” the unmarried father as the child’s father, the father has no legally enforceable rights regarding the child, including but not limited to Parenting Time (Visitation). As such, if nothing has been ordered or in place, there should be nothing preventing you from relocating.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer