Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am interested in knowing how to get guardianship of a

Customer Question
I am interested in...

I am interested in knowing how to get guardianship of a grandchild

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

North carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The parent has agreed

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/20/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Once the applicant (petitioner) files the petition for guardianship, it generally takes 6-8 weeks to get a hearing scheduled. If the parent is in agreement the court is more likely to agree to the situation unless the proposal is not in the child's best interest.

The petition must be filed in the civil district court of the child's county of residence, so the particular calendar of that court will determine actual waiting time for a hearing.

If there is no issue, the court may issue Letters of Guardianship after the hearing.

http://www.nccourts.org/Forms/Documents/1184.pdf

relevant statutes:

https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByArticle/Chapter_35A/Article_6.pdf

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.