Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm filling out a Petition for Allocation of Parental

Customer Question
I'm filling out a...

I'm filling out a Petition for Allocation of Parental Responsibilities. I'm trying to accurately answer the question on the form: The best interests of the child would be served by allocating parental responsibilities to the petitioner as follows and for the following reason:

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Before doing so how does this chat work and will i be commiting myself to anything

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/20/2017
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 5 months ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, welcome to the site. I’m here to help you today. I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I’d like to review your question and perhaps do some research for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

Sue

How do I accurately answer on the Petition of Parental Responsibilities the question - THe best interest of the children would be served by allocating parental responsibilities to the Petitioner as follows and for the following reasons:

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Parental responsibilities is another way to say which parent gets legal custody, decision-making power. The default by a long margin is "joint," but there are many variations. For instance, non-emergency medical decisions could be allocated to one parent and educational decisions could be allocated to the other.

Sue

This doesn't really answer. I'm trying to file for an emergency hearing because my ex is keeping my baby from me due to me being arrested and charged with domestic violence. The judge denied a protective order against the baby. So I still have rights as a parent. But I need tofile this so I can get joint custody till we do custody in family court

Can you tell me more about why that doesn't answer your question?

You can say the child's best interests will be served both parents sharing parental responsibilities equally.

Does that make sense?

Sue

That makes a little more sense - so would it be recommended that I just put that. Would it be in my interest to say something that the babies father works 7 days a week 10-12 hrs a day due to owning his own business and the child would be placed in constant care of a family member or day care provider? But I would be able to alliviate that if joint custody is granted.

Yes, if your form suggests "parental responsibilities" includes both decision making (legal custody) and shared parenting time (physical custody), it would be good to include the father's work schedule.

Do you have other questions?

This thread remains open about a week, so if I can help you further, please let me know.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided you the information you were seeking. If you’re satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help or have any further questions, please do let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Sue

I'm going off line for a while, but will check back with you within 24 hours.

Sue

Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 4 months ago

Is there anything else I can do to assist you?

Sue

Sue
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney