Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex passed away a year ago April in New Hampshire. He

Customer Question
My ex passed away...

My ex passed away a year ago April in New Hampshire. He worked for like 31 years at Raytheon in Massachusetts he was a Sr. Design Engineer in the missile systems division. We were divorced at the time of his death but we were married almost 22 years. Divorced for 15 or 16 years he never remarried. Raytheon Benefits contacted me back in May of this year saying they need Death certificate, Marriage license an Divorce decree, for possible payable benefits which was his retirement so I sent all the paperwork they asked for then about a month later they contacted me by mail an said it was only to go to his wife! But since we were divorced at the time it would go to nobody. In the mean time I've since moved to Florida. But people I've talked to say's I should fight Raytheon for his retirement since we were married for so long. But don't know what kind of Lawyer to hire or if I can get one that will take on a Company like Raytheon. Please help me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Raytheon is in Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I contacted a Lawyer in New Hampshire that also does Massachusetts an he wanted me to send all the paper work to him an I haven't heard from him since

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Does he think I have a chance of winning

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. Were you awarded any portion of his retirement in the divorce proceedings?

There was nothing in the divorce decree about
the retirement
No phone call right now Thank you

In that case, it seems unlikely that there is any chance you will be able to recover anything from Raytheon unless you were still named as a beneficiary on some kind of death benefit or life insurance policy he had through his employer.

But if that was the case, then Raytheon certainly would have mentioned it to you.

I received his life insurance because I was still on it

That's good. Do you have any more questions today?

No thanks

You are very welcome. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 3, 4, or 5 star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?