Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

About ten years ago I moved a mobile home that was paid for…

Customer Question
About ten years ago...

About ten years ago I moved a mobile home that was paid for and titled in my name onto a piece of property owned by my mother in-law. During the course of the move I incurred approx $25,000.00 in expense for excavation and utility work. In addition I built a 25 x 25 block building for a garage. My wife and I are no divorced and the mother in law wants me to move. Do I have any way to recoup lost expenses?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. You will likely not be able to recoup the expenses of moving the home onto (or away from) the property. However, you may be able to recover something for the block building. Is the building in good condition? Has your mother in law ever used it to store any of her belongings?

I'm not really concerned about recovering moving expenses more interested in the improvements made to the property. No she has not used the building but obviously stands to gain from it.

Are you moving out and leaving the mobile home there? Or are you removing it from the property?

The mobile home cannot be moved any longer. No axles and no way to hook up

If you can prove that the mobile home and garage increase the value of the property, then you may have a good case for unjust enrichment against the mother in law. It will all come down to how much value you have added to the property, which will likely require the testimony of a professional appraiser.

Is the mobile home in good condition? Do you know what your mother in law plans to do with it after you move out?

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?