Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex had kidnapped my child, not said where or when they…

Customer Question
My ex had kidnapped my...
My ex had kidnapped my child, not said where or when they left, and reappeared in California. At which point she filed a domestic violence restraining order. Now, I have a emergency return order to get my child back and have shown cause of need of it in Oklahoma as per where the child has solely lived his whole life. Ex has a history of mental health concern, and depression. Since she has been ordered to return him to his home, she has refused to answer, and has shown no effort in coming to court dates. I still want domestic R.O. dismissed in California, as all she used to get it are lies and made up scenerios, which I have police record to prove. Now, I ask, what should I do or expect when I arrive in California for court on domestic RO. With my orders to get my son, and a Warrenton for her arrest in the parental kidnapping case ?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The next step is that you need to file a petition to enforce foreign judgment in the CA court and get them to recognize and enforce the Oklahoma court order. That is a separate issue from the domestic RO. However, upon doing that, you can show then that the domestic RO was a retaliatory move to try to escape the jurisdiction of Oklahoma and you still need to present some witnesses and evidence (such as the police records) to the CA court to get them to dismiss the RO in addition to enforcing the Oklahoma court order and it would be then Oklahoma if they want to charge her with the kidnapping charge as well.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer