Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have been detector father to my now ex-fiancee's son since…

Customer Question
I have been detector...

I have been detector father to my now ex-fiancee's son since his biological father committed suicide over 5 years ago. He is now 7 about to turn 8. After we ended our engagement (almost 2 years ago) she allowed me to continue on as his father. I was forced to fire my ex from the business that I used to own and in response she has taken my son from me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Is there any legal recourse for me to gain access to my son?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I'm in Maryland.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was depressed and weight help before my ex and I broke up and have continued to recieclve that help. I am now happily married to a woman who loves my son dearly, and all I want is to be able to have my son back in my life.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Unfortunately, if this is your ex-fiance's son, while you may have an emotional connection with him, you have no legal connection that would allow you to take action for some type of custody or visitation in court. The ex is the only legal parent/guardian for the child and as such she has the right to determine who the child is around..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Thanks.

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time, even though the news is lousy...

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

No. Thanks again.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

Please take a moment to rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my work.

.

.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Barrister, Lawyer