Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How can I become emancipate... I am 17 years old... my birth…

Customer Question
How can I become...

How can I become emancipate... I am 17 years old... my birth mother gave me up at birth to my grandparents ...who have taken care of me all my life...

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Florida now

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No but I will if need be

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to go to college and what brought me to this is the FAFSA application...since it say my birth parent is responsible till I am 24...I don't know who my birth father is...I have no contact to my birth mother

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/19/2017
Family Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

The general grounds for emancipation in Florida before age 18 is that the minor must be self-supporting and no longer living with a parent or guardian.

There are other various means of being emancipated for specific reasons which are stated in Chapter 743 Florida Statutes. The grounds provided for by statute are numerous, and if one or more applies to your circumstances, then you should contact a local family law attorney or legal aid organization and see if you get get them to represent you in court.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!