Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My 84 year old mother in law lives in California. Yesterday…

Customer Question
Hi,My 84 year old mother...
Hi,My 84 year old mother in law lives in California. Yesterday in a hospital she refused to do her regular renal dialysis treatment no matter how her family members tried to persuade her. Right now she is not able to think and talk like usual but just stay in her room and is not willing to go to anywhere.We are really concerned about her health and even her life. I asked the hospital in her city and they said she first needed to go to see a doctor herself. However she is not even able to think and talk like normal people.Can anyone let me know in this situation what we can do to let her continue her medical treatment? Thanks in advance.John
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a CA licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. I can certainly understand your concern here. You may want to consider getting guardianship over your mother. Generally, guardianship means that you can make financial, medical, and everyday living decisions on behalf of an adult. The CA courts have a process that allows you to do such a thing. I would write down all of the steps; however, if you click here, you can seen Legal Zoom's very good and detailed description of the types of guardianships that are available to you to help your mother out and get her the treatment that she needs. What other questions did you have for me?

Thank you for the response. Right now she refuses to go out of her room. Is there anyway for us to obtain the guardianship? Thanks.

You're welcome. Yes, you would have to go to the courthouse to get the paperwork, but what I would recommend actually clicking here. San Diego County has this amazing packet that helps people through the guardianship process and has everything all here together. Depending on your county, it may cost a few hundred dollars, but otherwise, you'll be in good shape. Did you have any other questions for me today?

Ely, Counselor at Law