Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife of 17 yrs wants to divorce but she is not asking for…

Customer Question
My wife of 17...

My wife of 17 yrs wants to divorce but she is not asking for anything. I however would at least like to give her a lump sum. I am able to give her 25% of the assets even though she does not want it. We are afraid the courts will argue with her and she doesn't want to deal with any legal drama. Can we do a postnuptual?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have a 17 yr old son who will continue living with me, the father. She does not want me to have to sell the house, she just wants to get her own place and have a non-contested divorce.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/18/2017
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Absolutely. You can enter into such an agreement signed by both sides. It is often better if lawyers are involved on both sides which makes it less likely to be challenged. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.