Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My Grandchild was removed from his biological parent's at…

My Grandchild was removed...

My Grandchild was removed from his biological parent's at the age of 5 weeks old and they still do not have him back. We are the paternal Grandparents and would like to find out why he has not been returned and the foster parent has now petitioned the court to adopt my Grandson. I would like to be able to speak directly to the judge, social worker, public defender or any one else that can explain the situation further. Thanks so much for your help.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The court is in Louisiana and we live in Mississippi.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have recently contacted a family lawyer in Louisiana for an initial consultation and he stated that the biological parents had to be there. I am waiting to discuss this with my son. In the meantime I wanted to see if I could get some legal help and see if I can talk to someone directly without the biological parent's involvement.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks.

11/18/2017
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, welcome to the site. I’m here to help you today. I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I’d like to review your question and perhaps do some research for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

You have a couple of options.

1. You can contact the child protective offices in Louisiana to ask to speak to the social worker directly. The social worker must keep confidentiality, so s/he cannot give you information.

You may have to be persistent and a little patient. If you cannot get a call back within 24 hours after trying a couple times, call back to ask to speak to the social worker's supervisor.

Visitation would start on a graduated scale, but it could be a help to the foster parent. CPS is mandated to keep family connections and if you are found supportive, helpful and strictly compliant with CPS rules, you may be able to become a part of your grandson's life forever, separate and apart from your son.

As you remain in touch with the social worker, you'll find you're likely to receive more information over time.

2. You can file a motion in the LA court proceedings asking to intervene as a party. If allowed, you will have access to some, if not all of the information provided in court.

3. If you son agrees, he can sign a consent document that allows you to get information from his public defender. You can contact this person to give information, but as your son's lawyer, s/he must keep your son's confidence unless and until your son specifically allows you to receive information. Even then, there may be limits, as information given you by the lawyer can be sought by the government lawyers.

Does this answer your question sufficiently?

If you have follow up questions, please let me know.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I hope I have provided you the information you were seeking. If you’re satisfied with my assistance, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help or have any further questions, please do let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Sue

Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney
Thank you so much for your reply. At this time I would like to cancel my free trial.

You are welcome.

If you have any questions about canceling your free trial, the JA site moderator should be able to help you.

Best wishes,

Sue

Sue
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney